Minimal Application

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:21 AM
Edited Sep 14, 2011 at 9:22 AM

Could you please update the minimal application template to work with the latest IGF and Sunburn

http://indiefreaks.com/2011/01/20/minimal-indiefrieaks-game-framework-application/

The current state of documentation for both Sunburn and IGF makes learning either very, very difficult. Most Sunburn tutorials (like Nick Gravelyns quick tutorial) are way out of date.
A simple minimal application (even just the code) would help a lot, especially if you could keep the code up to date with the latest IGF/Sunburn releases. :-)

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM

Hi Dids,

I'm planning to release as soon as I can a getting started document so that IGF users can learn how to use the framework. Yet, I'm currently busy with a bunch of personal priorities that forbid me to spend time on IGF.
I'm eager to get back to it and document it but for now, unfortunatelly, you'll have to wait :(

Regards

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:16 AM
Edited Sep 15, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Hi Philippe,

I know this has been mentioned already several times, but because of the lack of documentation or examples, I do not consider your framework usable. The distributed binaries do not work with SunBurn-Pro (require a build from source). I do have the minimal application working and I heard good things about the framework but all examples and forum entries have vanished from the internet. I spent a few hours going over deprecated code snippets from the blog and was able do some simple builds, but trying to reverse engineer the existing classes and framework logic from the assemblies and deprecated examples is just going to take too much time when core XNA and SunBurn is so much easier to accomplish. Although I was able to see that most of the code modifications required (from the code provided on your blog) were consolidation and re-factoring, just finding and tracking the changes between old and current objects was quite time consuming. 

While I can sense there is an excellent underlying design pattern and all the code is well written (and compiles fine), I feel I just can't use it the way it was meant to be used without some sort of documentation or examples for the most basic features and operations. 

Thanks

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:55 AM

Hey holmanj,

could you by any chance post your minimal application? The main difference between the minimal application code in the above link is that there is no "plugins" or "features" namespaces inside the IGF namespace, just XNA.*, so I'm more interested in how you're dealing with initializing Sunburn and the main scene/layer.