Target platform

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I'm having a hard time figuring out if this framework will meet my needs on the x86 platform. The Input Management, specifically, seems like it might be directed exclusively at XBox. Maybe I'm just misreading it. Do you also support x86?

Also, I plan to either write my own GUI system or use something specific (like Neoforce). Would it be relatively easy to plug in something to your framework, or is yours intended as an all-or-nothing deal?

Btw, your link on the home page to the sunburn website is broken.

Coordinator
Sep 25, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Hi Furiant,

The whole framework targets Windows, Xbox 360 & WP7. While I present the InputManager to respond to XBLIG specific requirements, it still works for Windows (x86/x64) as you would expect. You'll just have to setup your PlayerInput instance from InputManager.PlayerXXX (replace by the logical player number One, Two, Three or Four) to use Keyboard & Mouse if you want (PlayerXXX.UseKeyboardAndMouse) as well as the virtual gamepad mapping (PlayerXXX.VirtualGamePadMappings properties).

As for the GUI system, you may use it or not, it's up to you. Like all the framework features, you'll decide which ones you want to use by referencing the ones you like. The IGF UI feature is just there if you want to use it and is already setup for you to use without having to care about initializing, updating or rendering: you just create your Screen, Button, Label instances and add them to the GUIManager.
If you're going to use Neoforce, you can simply add it to your own Application override and make sure to initialize it, update and render in the Application.Initialize(), Update() and Draw() methods. Another option, probably recommended, would be to add the Neoforce update and render calls to GameState.Update() and GameState.Draw() methods as you may therefore control for each GameState how it'll render.

Regards