Reach Profile-support

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:03 AM

Are there any plans on adding Reach-support for IGF?

As I just tried running through the first tutorial and on application.Run() I get a NotSupportedException saying "XNA Framework Reach profile requires TextureAddressMode to be Clamp when using texture sizes that are not powers of two".

I'm guessing this is because of IGF, as I couldn't find anything on SynapseGaming's site/forums concerning this. 

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Hi Dids,

Are you trying to use IGF in a WP7 project? If so, it should work using the Reach profile. Make sure in that case to use the WP7 assemblies.

Otherwise, if you're trying to use IGF on a Windows Project using a Reach profile, the framework doesn't support this approach out of the box. You may have to make some changes to its source code to achieve that.

Let me know what you are trying to do and I'll see if I can come up with a summary of the steps you need to perform to move IGF to support Reach profile on other platforms than WP7.

Regards

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I'm using it in a Windows-only project, but I mainly develop on a slightly older laptop, which has an integrated GPU so naturally only supports Reach.

I could have a look at the source code for IGF, shouldn't be too much work, atleast I hope not.

I am ultimately going to end up using the HiDef profile, but it will take quite some time before I'll be needing pixel shader effects and such. :-)

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:22 PM

You may be interested in http://fatbat.co.uk/fbdeprofiler.dll - its a little hack i wrote to allow me to develop for Hidef on my laptop which almost supports it but fails the profile check. Add a reference to the dll and in your game class add the line

fbdeprofiler.deprofiler.run()

It uses some reflection hacking to disable the profile check allowing you to use HiDef and any of it's features that your GPU supports - you will obviously get errors if you try to use features your GPU doesn't support. Since it's a hack you'll want to remove it when you come to releasing your game.

Coordinator
Nov 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Hey bamyazi,

I didn't know you were behind FBDeprofiler. Your hack made a lot of Xna Laptop developers happy. Good job!

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM
Edited Nov 28, 2011 at 2:25 PM

http://www.synapsegaming.com/forums/p/1469/8025.aspx#8025

Hehe thanks - always a nice feeling to know something you've done is actually used :)

I keep meaning to ressurect the FatBat blog but never seem to have the time to do it nicely so the site is just sitting there at the moment :( You motivated me to fix the original link though so it redirects to the dll if anyone is looking for it.