Skybox example?

Mar 16, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to create a skybox in IGF?

If someone could use the current Ace On Steroids example code and show me how to add a skybox I would really appreciate it.

I know it must be added as a layer but beyond that I am lost.

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Hi BillVee,

In order to add a skybox to your game using IGF, you'll have to create a simple Layer that we'll call "SkyboxLayer" and have it implement IContentHost.

Then, you'll simply implement your skybox rendering as you'd normally do with Xna overriding the Draw() method and making sure to load all your assets in the LoadContent() method.

Finally, when your SkyboxLayer is implemented, you'll simply add it to your GameState using the AddLayer(new SkyboxLayer(this)) method.
Make sure to add it first so that it gets rendered before anything else (otherwise it'll render on top of other layers).

I don't know your Xna skills so I'm adding a link to Riemers tutorial on how to implement skybox: http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/XNA/Csharp/Series2/Skybox.php

Mar 16, 2012 at 6:07 PM

That was just the nudge I needed.

I was stuck for a way to get the cameras view and projection until I found

Application.SunBurn.GetManager<ICameraManager>(true).ActiveCamera.SceneState

I am very impressed with IGF and how thought out every thing is.

Coordinator
Mar 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I'm happy to see you got it working ;)

IGF relies a lot on the SunBurn SceneInterface Managers so whenever you need to access something, your best chance is to call Application.SunBurn.GetManager<THEMANAGERYOUNEED>(true).WHATEVERPROPERTYORMETHOD ;)

Thanks for the kind words: Since I don't have much time for documentation, I try to make IGF classes as intuitive as possible to use ;)